All onsite school classes, weekend programs and functions, and volunteer opportunities are closed until further notice
March 2020 – At Hawai`i Nature Center, we are doing our part to reduce and slow the spread of COVID-19. In compliance with county and state work-from-home and stay-at-home mandates, all onsite school classes, weekend programs and functions, and volunteer opportunities have been postponed in response to COVID-19. Our no. 1 priority is the safety and health of keiki and families. When we reopen, HNC will follow the recommendations for vigilant protective actions from the Center for Disease Control and the Hawai‘i Department of Health as it relates to COVID-19. The following actions will be followed by staff and be promoted among the students, teachers and chaperones at our Makiki and Iao Valley sites:
- Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoiding touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
- If staff and students are sick, they are required to stay home.
- Covering cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throwing the tissue in the trash.
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- No “high-fives”
Additional resources can be found via the following links: